Your next smart home device is a $30 used Kindle #IoT #InternetOfThings #eink #epaper @lankybutmacho

Unknown Reply 8:50 AM

Our phones are also the nexus of all kinds of data we want pushed to us — news, messages, notifications, alerts, status updates.

A phone isn’t actually great for this kind of ambient awareness. It’s usually in a pocket or purse, so the ways it can get our attention are limited: a buzz, a notification on the lock screen, a red dot on an app icon.

Matt Healy finds a great solution:

I’ve found myself wanting a less intrusive channel for ambient data. Something I can glance at in passing, without giving my full attention or opening myself up to whatever other interruptions my phone might have in store. It should be easy to check, but just as easy to ignore.

This is the device I landed on: a wifi-connected Kindle 4, mounted on the wall in a simple laser-cut acrylic frame. Once a minute, it loads a screenshot of a web page I built that shows a few different kinds of data I want easy access to: calendar events, weather, the status of packages I’ve ordered, etc.

I’m very happy with the result, and even more happy with how easy it is to put together. A used Kindle is the only hardware required, and you can pick up a serviceable one from eBay or BackMarket for $30 or less.

Read all the details on how to build your own in the post here.

Post a Comment

Search

Follow us

Popular Reviews