Botany and Porcelain in the Art of Marney McDiarmid #ArtTuesday

Unknown Reply 5:50 AM

Marney McDiarmid made the fictitious porcelain flora to highlight a group in Hawaii who work on the island of Oahu to preserve the native plants of Hawaii:

I wanted the piece to highlight the plants in peril while also speaking to the commitment and imagination of the people trying to preserve them. It is the relationship between these two elements that is the basis of the work. Visiting the Manoa Valley with these environmental activists, I was captivated by the complexity and beauty of the plants and also by the dedication of the people I met. I think of the installation as an ode to both of these things and hope that the interplay between the drawings and the sculptures encourages viewers to consider how we as humans interact with these environments. The site of the installation, in an empty storefront, also really shaped how the work evolved. My sculptural pieces tend to be small, and I didn’t want them to be lost in the space. For a while now, I’ve been wanting to experiment with enlarging my drawings, and this provided the perfect opportunity to do so.

See more!

Post a Comment

Search

Follow us

Popular Reviews